Thursday, May 16, 2013

First post in Amman

The other day we went to the Amman citadel, which was really cool. I've also gone downtown. We tried to go to a lecture by this famous woman who writes about women's rights in the middle east (Shereen El Feki), but we didn't know until 5 minutes beforehand and then we couldn't find it because stuff here isn't marked very well.  There are a surprising number of things that remind me of Romania like some stores, the amount of harassment foreign girls get, similar buildings and sidewalks, etc. I've mostly been exploring the neighborhood the past few days. 

We can't flush the toilet paper, so we have to put it in a little trashcan by the toilet and we can't use much water because we have a limited amount each week. Once it's gone, it's gone. So we also can't shower a ton. The food here is delicious. I mostly eat pita bread and hummus, which are two of my favorite things, so that's fine with me. Church is interesting. It's on Fridays, which I LOVE. The Arabic branch is really small. We also went to sacrament in the English ward. This little girl in the ward already loves me and even though I was sharing a hymnbook with my friend, she had me share her tiny pocket one so I could barely see the words. And  she made me play a weird game of tic tac toe, there were way too many squares. It was like a 4 by 4 or something.
My roommates are awesome!  I have had very interesting discussions with girls in the group the past couple nights. Also, everyone has fantastic movie and tv taste. Emily and Alex have both watched The IT Crowd! My apartment consists of me, Emily, and Chat. The other girls apartment is Alex, Smash, Stephanie, and Shanel. The boys are Logan, Paul, and Marc. (And Matt, but he lives in a different apartment because he's married and therefore has a wife and baby with him.)

Boys cat call a lot at us, but none have touched us yet, though we had some follow us for a bit, so that's great. We have to have the boys walk us home at night now because there are so many shabaab. We don't want an skanky image, so we're not allowed to have boys in our apartment at all, so we usually meet at their apartment or make them wait outside.
We start work on Monday or something and we're meeting with the Minister sometime on Sunday or Monday. Or maybe one of her inferiors we shall see. I'm excited, but nervous because I speak the least Arabic in the group and the little Arabic I learned was Egyptian, which is a lot more different from Jordanian than I thought it would be.

Amman, I dont have my computer with me, so I might have stolen this from Shanelle's FB

No comments:

Post a Comment